Featured Post

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Remodel...Doors and Floors

Well, the following was supposed to be published 5 days ago but while I was editing it, the internet went down and I've been without it for FIVE WHOLE DAYS!!   Geez, you'd think I was without water!!   ETAPA, my internet provider had massive problems that supposedly affected every one of their customers, but when they got it fixed, mine was still inoperable until their reps came to my house today and worked their magic.

So, back to what I was saying 5 days ago....

I finally got my 5 new doors installed over the past few days.  My gosh,  I didn't realize it would take so long to install them!  Two young guys spent 15 hours installing 5 doors and frames...that's 3 hours for each door!   And, UGH, when it was all over, everything upstairs was coated in dust.  That INCLUDES the 108 stairwell spindles that I hand-cleaned just a few weeks ago after my new floors were installed!!!   So, I've decided I'm not doing any more deep cleaning until the closets are installed and the kitchen remodel is done, which I hope all will be complete by the end of June.

Back to the doors.  They look soooo nice!!  Custom, handmade for me, and they aren't cheapo hollow bonk-sounding doors either.  Now, I no longer have to wake up in the middle of the night to find two cats and my dog hogging the bed and myself relegated to a thin sliver along the edge.  I can shut my door and have the WHOLE bed to myself!!!

Now, the floors.   As I mentioned before, I ripped out the carpet from upstairs (downstairs is all tile) which left me with bare concrete floors for a few months.  I finally found a decently priced product for piso flotantes (floating hardwood floors) and had them installed a few weeks ago.   In a couple days, they'll come back and finish out all the moldings.

So, here's a few before and after pics for your enjoyment:

TV Loft (when house was listed)


TV Loft (before new flooring)

TV Loft after new floors.  Baseboards installed yesteday.  Now need curtains.


Looking into Guest Bedroom before new floors/doors.

Guest Bedroom - after new paint, floors

My new doors, frames, and molding

Guest Bedroom - after new paint, floors, furniture, and door.

2 comments:

  1. I am going to start saving money so I can come visit! Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dano: Louis and I are reading your blog about the kitchen. Love the drive-in effect. We're enjoying life in SD and are preparing for Summer fun. Saint Ruth will be 92 in July. I'm staying at the SDCOE for another 6 months. Will miss you at Thanksgiving!!!!! Love you, Ron

    ReplyDelete

Wanna leave a comment? PLEASE DO!!

It's not very intuitive, so let me help you...
1. Write your comment
2. From the list of Comment As, just select Anonymous
3. If you want me to know who you are, simply type your name inside the comment box, at the end.
4. Press the Publish button
5. Click the box I'm Not a Robot
6. Press the Publish button again
7. If a 'test question' comes up, answer it and press the button
8. If you passed the 'test question' press Publish

About Me

My photo
Cuenca, Azuay, Ecuador
This is all about my transition from an American lifestyle and culture to my newest adventure, life in Cuenca and greater Ecuador. I'll be recapping some of my day-to-day experiences (and mishaps) to highlight what it's like to live here.

Total Views